Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Born under a certain sign to uncertain parents...


I am so angry I could spit! Caius finally let me see the decoded message I was carrying from the Emperor to him, the first day we met.





From the letter it seems that the Emperor and his advisors, and most particularly one Glabrio Bellenius, the personal secretary to his Majesty, have divined a citizen on the Empire that fulfills the requirements for the Nerevarine prophecies: Me!



Except I do not! The prophecy specifies that the person be born under a certain sign to uncertain parents which is a complete fabrication. I know exactly who my parents are and so does Bellenius! I would have gladly kept his secrets. I always intended to take them to my grave. Not for the sake of his precious honor but for my mother's shame and how deeply it would cut my father's heart. Instead Bellenius does this? Has me thrown in prison and then packed off to Morrowind to die among savages and ash and blight all when he does not even know for sure if he sired me or not!



It seems even likely that most of this letter was taken in dictation and later altered to mention me by name but not, as it were, by the correct pronoun.
I should take ship, back to the Imperial City. Confront this weasel with my blade and cut the truth out of him but I sense his plans in this. This is why I was chosen to be a part of this elaborate scheme. The Nerevarine! Hah! A scam to satisfy the unruly superstitious locals. A bloodless coup if successful and a small price if I fail. But I will have eye upon me the whole time. The Blades and Cosades, watching my every move. Should I try to return to my home will I not find my family paying the price for my fury? My little brother. Justinian is still just a boy. Would he live to see another dawn from the moment my foot touched a deck headed for Cyrodiil?



So I continue this charade and play the Bellenius' orphan Nerevarine. And when I'm done I will slip away in the shadows and hunt down this man whether his blood runs in my veins or no man or god or demon will stay my blade.

~ Claudia Faustina Basra, 13th of Hearthfire, 3E 27

No comments:

Post a Comment